One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a disease that regularly affects animals in a particular district or at a particular season.‘enzootic hepatitis’
- ‘For the U.S. population as a whole, no such immunization is recommended, but it may be considered in animal workers and travelers to enzootic areas who anticipate animal exposure.’
- ‘Although we can do little to limit the spread of enzootic flaviviruses, we can minimise the number of human cases.’
- ‘It occurs most frequently as an epizootic or enzootic disease of herbivores that acquire spores from direct contact with contaminated soil.’
- ‘During 2000 and 2001, West Nile virus spread rapidly through the South and Midwest, establishing enzootic activity in 28 states.’
- ‘State and local agencies should identify vector species and breeding sites, and implement aggressive surveillance and targeted control early in the transmission season to restrict enzootic viral amplification.’
Late 19th century: from en- ‘within’ + Greek zōion ‘animal’ + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.