One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1In a way that relates to the natural world and the impact of human activity on its condition.‘alternatives to environmentally damaging pesticides’‘measures designed to promote environmentally friendly farming’‘the village was suffering economically, socially, and environmentally’
- ‘Following the massive problems associated with Hurricane Floyd in 1999, the state brokered an agreement by which $18 million was contributed to develop and implement environmentally superior technologies.’
- ‘They have joined a campaign calling on investment banks to cut off funding for environmentally devastating dam projects.’
- ‘Some are developing environmentally sustainable power plants for rural areas that urgently need to address chronic electricity shortages.’
- ‘He's been working to promote environmentally sensitive eco-tourism, or, as he prefers to describe it, ethical tourism.’
- ‘Smart growth provides a much-needed framework in which to harness market forces in order to preserve environmentally sensitive lands.’
2In a way that relates to a person's surroundings.sentence adverb ‘environmentally speaking, it's a good job change for me’
- ‘Fifteen years ago, this was an economically and environmentally depressed city.’
- ‘An increase in the uncertainty of market structure constitutes a more environmentally complex condition.’
- ‘He was asked to transform the building into a more socially and environmentally dynamic entity.’
- ‘As the comfort levels of an environmentally transparent workspace become known, and as these control technologies develop, their global acceptance seems inevitable.’
- ‘The developer deliberately produced a high quality, environmentally richer housing system, and the houses have been selling very well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.