One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who is concerned with or advocates the protection of the environment.
conservationist, preservationist, ecologist, green, nature-lover, eco-activistView synonyms
- ‘As well as being passionate about personal finance, I'm also a committed environmentalist.’
- ‘It is - in its own small way - a barometer of the future direction of the environmentalist movement.’
- ‘Local environmentalists have sounded the alarm that it may well be the beginning of an end for the species.’
- ‘Despite what some environmentalists have argued, putting a price tag on a species does not make it disappear.’
- ‘"People call us, and they're not always die-hard, tree-hugging environmentalists, " she says.’
- ‘So how do concerned environmentalists tackle the enormous challenge of driving that switch?’
- ‘Environmentalists have said some coral reefs in Aceh may have been uplifted and exposed by the tsunami.’
- ‘What thoughtful environmentalists fear most in the upcoming congressional session is a rush to judgment.’
- ‘Generations of conservationists and environmentalists have reinforced these views.’
- ‘"We're not ardent environmentalists, but we wanted an environmentally-friendly home that looked good.’
- ‘But I cannot support the extreme environmentalist positions that you present in your magazine.’
- ‘The environmentalist movement, for instance, frequently appeals to the goodness of nature as a way to promote their causes.’
- ‘Counterculture environmentalists never constructed a unified philosophy that united like-minded individuals and organizations under one banner.’
- ‘But the relationship between counterculture environmentalists and technology was always ambivalent.’
- ‘True environmentalists are concerned not with appearances but with practising the principles that they preach.’
- ‘You are thought of as an avid environmentalist and you've built a reputation as an outdoorsman.’
- ‘As environmentalists keep warning us, even the air is a scarce commodity.’
- ‘An ardent environmentalist, he did it the responsible way.’
- ‘He's become, rather to his own surprise, a committed environmentalist.’
- ‘He broke off his architecture studies and became active in peace and environmentalist groups.’
2A person who considers that environment, as opposed to heredity, has the primary influence on the development of a person or group.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.