Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who is concerned with or advocates the protection of the environment.
conservationist, preservationist, ecologist, green, nature-lover, eco-activisteco-nut, ecofreak, tree huggerView synonyms
- ‘An ardent environmentalist, he did it the responsible way.’
- ‘Despite what some environmentalists have argued, putting a price tag on a species does not make it disappear.’
- ‘But the relationship between counterculture environmentalists and technology was always ambivalent.’
- ‘What thoughtful environmentalists fear most in the upcoming congressional session is a rush to judgment.’
- ‘"We're not ardent environmentalists, but we wanted an environmentally-friendly home that looked good.’
- ‘True environmentalists are concerned not with appearances but with practising the principles that they preach.’
- ‘You are thought of as an avid environmentalist and you've built a reputation as an outdoorsman.’
- ‘He broke off his architecture studies and became active in peace and environmentalist groups.’
- ‘Generations of conservationists and environmentalists have reinforced these views.’
- ‘"People call us, and they're not always die-hard, tree-hugging environmentalists, " she says.’
- ‘It is - in its own small way - a barometer of the future direction of the environmentalist movement.’
- ‘Counterculture environmentalists never constructed a unified philosophy that united like-minded individuals and organizations under one banner.’
- ‘The environmentalist movement, for instance, frequently appeals to the goodness of nature as a way to promote their causes.’
- ‘So how do concerned environmentalists tackle the enormous challenge of driving that switch?’
- ‘Local environmentalists have sounded the alarm that it may well be the beginning of an end for the species.’
- ‘He's become, rather to his own surprise, a committed environmentalist.’
- ‘As environmentalists keep warning us, even the air is a scarce commodity.’
- ‘As well as being passionate about personal finance, I'm also a committed environmentalist.’
- ‘Environmentalists have said some coral reefs in Aceh may have been uplifted and exposed by the tsunami.’
- ‘But I cannot support the extreme environmentalist positions that you present in your magazine.’
2A person who considers that environment, as opposed to heredity, has the primary influence on the development of a person or group.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.