Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An assessment of the extent to which an organization is observing practices that seek to minimize harm to the environment.
- ‘A company of its size and environmental leadership has undoubtedly conducted the full environmental audit.’
- ‘The programme has had an environmental audit.’
- ‘Many of the leading companies carry out environmental audits of their activities and are becoming increasingly aware of their responsibilities in this area.’
- ‘The team provides environmental audits for companies and local residents.’
- ‘The initial and subsequent environmental performances of participating businesses were evaluated by environmental audits undertaken in mid-2000 and in February 2001.’
- ‘These measures are increasingly forming part of environmental audits by large corporations, but this is only being done on a voluntary basis.’
- ‘As part of the Department of Education's mandatory Environmental Education policy my son's local primary school recently did an environmental audit.’
- ‘One of the few provisions of the document that has been implemented is an environmental audit.’
- ‘So we conducted a rigorous environmental audit.’
- ‘It offers a free environmental audit by an expert to advise and guide businesses to achieve more from their resources and gain a greener reputation.’
- ‘His comments coincide with the publication today of the Commons environmental audit committee report into the challenge of climate change.’
- ‘The Commons environmental audit committee last week published a hard-hitting report saying the government must not give the go-ahead to commercial planting of GM maize.’
- ‘This proposed law limits the public's right to know about environmental, workplace and industrial hazards, allowing companies to keep secret the results of environmental audits on the pollution they are emitting.’
- ‘MPs from all parties praised his efforts after he stepped down as chairman of the House of Commons environmental audit committee.’
- ‘It coincided with a report from the all-party Commons environmental audit committee which also demanded a halt to the government's plans.’
- ‘The reduction of carbon dioxide became a key goal in his and his students' environmental audits.’
- ‘Meanwhile, he said an environmental audit was necessary to clarify the case.’
- ‘Many companies declared as polluters are expected to object to the environmental audit, since not all companies were examined thoroughly.’
- ‘This includes participating in environmental audits twice per year.’
- ‘An environmental audit conducted by the students found that the university uses 1.22 sheets of paper every second and sends 219 pounds of waste per student to landfill sites each year.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.