Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a plant or flower) pollinated by insects.
- ‘Orchids are generally entomophilous and rarely ornithophilous.’
- ‘It has been described as a predominantly entomophilous species.’
- ‘Thus, the aim of this paper is to describe, for the first time, the secretion and chemical composition of nectar in a presumed entomophilous species of Maxillaria and to compare this with data previously obtained for M. coccinea.’
- ‘Two forms of pollen viability are apparent in entomophilous species.’
- ‘A similar pattern can be observed in Sorbus aucuparia, another entomophilous tree species, where a recent colonization of a plateau in Belgium yielded only a small loss of genetic diversity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.