One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A government program that guarantees certain benefits to a particular group or segment of the population.
- ‘Is it even the most important entitlement program we have right now?’
- ‘We're talking about, for instance, lying to Congress about the costs of a huge entitlement program.’
- ‘Welfare as we knew it was an entitlement program that showed a distinct pattern over the business cycle.’
- ‘I am not an advocate of privatizing Social Security, our nation's largest and most successful entitlement program.’
- ‘The program presently costs over $30 billion annually, making it the largest entitlement program in the federal budget, aside from health programs and social security.’
- ‘Not all students and institutions were aware of how the entitlement program works, and some applied for the wrong kind of grant or failed to send required supporting materials.’
- ‘Estimating costs for any entitlement program is difficult because consumer demand for something with no cost to the consumer will prove to be infinitely elastic.’
- ‘This entitlement program is noble but problematic.’
- ‘Social Security is, after all, the linchpin of the American welfare state, the most popular and well-regarded entitlement program.’
- ‘Who could have possibly predicted that a major entitlement program - a major health care entitlement program, no less - would end up costing vastly more than the original budget estimates?’
- ‘The same is true, I would have thought, of creating a massive new federal prescription drug entitlement program that builds in some free market principles.’
- ‘In the absence of such a determination, the suspicion, which I would hope is not correct, arises that this is one more entitlement program.’
- ‘It is almost like prosperity has become another government entitlement program.’
- ‘Medicaid is the third-largest entitlement program, and in the past errors in projecting its costs have been quite large.’
- ‘And spending on health care has skyrocketed, culminating in a brand-new entitlement program whose cost is conservatively estimated at $400 billion.’
- ‘And then there's no entitlement program out there.’
- ‘The prescription drug bill was an expansion of a traditionally liberal entitlement program.’
- ‘Medicare is a popular federal entitlement program that is legislatively sacrosanct.’
- ‘That's the whole point, of course, since the only way to eliminate a popular entitlement program is to gradually remove its broad based support.’
- ‘We call for restoration of a federally funded entitlement program to support children, families, the unemployed, elderly and disabled, with no time limit on benefits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.