One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A government program that guarantees certain benefits to a particular group or segment of the population.
- ‘The same is true, I would have thought, of creating a massive new federal prescription drug entitlement program that builds in some free market principles.’
- ‘The prescription drug bill was an expansion of a traditionally liberal entitlement program.’
- ‘Social Security is, after all, the linchpin of the American welfare state, the most popular and well-regarded entitlement program.’
- ‘It is almost like prosperity has become another government entitlement program.’
- ‘I am not an advocate of privatizing Social Security, our nation's largest and most successful entitlement program.’
- ‘And spending on health care has skyrocketed, culminating in a brand-new entitlement program whose cost is conservatively estimated at $400 billion.’
- ‘Medicare is a popular federal entitlement program that is legislatively sacrosanct.’
- ‘We're talking about, for instance, lying to Congress about the costs of a huge entitlement program.’
- ‘Who could have possibly predicted that a major entitlement program - a major health care entitlement program, no less - would end up costing vastly more than the original budget estimates?’
- ‘The program presently costs over $30 billion annually, making it the largest entitlement program in the federal budget, aside from health programs and social security.’
- ‘This entitlement program is noble but problematic.’
- ‘In the absence of such a determination, the suspicion, which I would hope is not correct, arises that this is one more entitlement program.’
- ‘Estimating costs for any entitlement program is difficult because consumer demand for something with no cost to the consumer will prove to be infinitely elastic.’
- ‘Is it even the most important entitlement program we have right now?’
- ‘And then there's no entitlement program out there.’
- ‘We call for restoration of a federally funded entitlement program to support children, families, the unemployed, elderly and disabled, with no time limit on benefits.’
- ‘Not all students and institutions were aware of how the entitlement program works, and some applied for the wrong kind of grant or failed to send required supporting materials.’
- ‘Medicaid is the third-largest entitlement program, and in the past errors in projecting its costs have been quite large.’
- ‘Welfare as we knew it was an entitlement program that showed a distinct pattern over the business cycle.’
- ‘That's the whole point, of course, since the only way to eliminate a popular entitlement program is to gradually remove its broad based support.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.