Inflammation of both the small intestine and the colon.
- ‘In premature infants, necrotizing enterocolitis is the most common surgical cause of an acute abdomen.’
- ‘The study did not find any evidence that prophylactic indomethacin affected other outcomes such as chronic lung disease, necrotising enterocolitis, and retinopathy.’
- ‘There was no histologic evidence of celiac disease, collagenous or lymphocytic enterocolitis, or inflammatory bowel disease.’
- ‘Prophylaxis with penicillin may be of benefit in neutropenic patients with symptoms of enterocolitis.’
- ‘Bloody diarrhea is much more suggestive of inflammatory bowel disease or infectious enterocolitis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.