One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The political union of Cyprus and Greece, as an aim or ideal of certain Greeks and Cypriots.
union, merger, fusion, fusing, amalgamation, integration, coalition, junction, combination, consolidation, confederation, federationView synonyms
- ‘The Turks invaded, in 1974, just as the island was edging towards reunion or enosis with Greece.’
- ‘Greek Cypriots hoped the British would help them achieve their long-cherished aim of enosis with the Greek mainland.’
- ‘Nearly 80 percent of the population, who were ethnically Greek, wanted enosis.’
- ‘Turkish troops seized the northern part of Cyprus in 1974 in response to an Athens-engineered military coup aimed at enosis.’
- ‘The aim was to force enosis with Greece, but Makarios survived and led Cypriot resistance to the coup.’
- ‘Cyprus's Greek community has long desired enosis, political union of Cyprus with Greece, for a long time.’
1920s: from modern Greek henōsis, from hena ‘one’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.