One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the armed forces below the rank of NCO.
private soldier, common soldierView synonyms
- ‘In 1994, it had 503,800 officers and enlisted men on active duty.’
- ‘He was an ordinary kind of guy who was drafted into the Army as an enlisted man and ended the war as a major.’
- ‘We, the initial troops, had nothing to move into, and within days, more and more enlisted men and officers would be coming in to assume their duties.’
- ‘The army spokesman says it is standard procedure for military police to question only the enlisted men and officers involved.’
- ‘A similar kind of fracturing could emerge within the U.S. Army if enlisted men and their officers spend most of their careers on a single base.’
- ‘When I was there, he only talked to the enlisted men and NCOs. No officers.’
- ‘Corporal John Henry Shelly was the gunner and ranking enlisted man on the tank.’
- ‘It was originally composed of approximately 600 acres with housing for 108 officers and 330 enlisted men.’
- ‘For an officer to apologize to an enlisted man in public was unheard of, and the soldiers must have discussed the incident at length in the barracks.’
- ‘Most of its members were reserve officers or enlisted men.’
- ‘Two U.S. Army enlisted men manning an experimental radar system spotted the incoming aircraft and called air defense headquarters twice.’
- ‘Thus most of the company commanders, and many battalion commanders, were former enlisted men.’
- ‘This commitment extended to his officers and enlisted men, each of whom he individually interviewed before accepting them in the submarine service.’
- ‘He began as an enlisted man in an anti-tank gun crew with the German 132d Infantry Division as it moved across southern Russia.’
- ‘Standard military protocol required enlisted men to come to attention when the commanding officer arrived on deck.’
- ‘Some 300 officers and enlisted men were serving in these historical units when the war ended in 1945.’
enlisted man/enˈlistid man/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.