One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being English or of having characteristics regarded as typically English.‘a deep vein of Englishness runs through his work’‘he combined cultural Englishness with political cosmopolitanism’
- ‘Of course, she cannot claim an Anglo-Saxon pedigree, but she can publicly admire Englishness.’
- ‘If not entirely celebratory, his Englishness is defined by inclusiveness.’
- ‘He belongs to that particular strain of Englishness that runs from George Orwell to Tony Benn; from Morris dancing to the Sex Pistols.’
- ‘Where does the essence of Englishness reside and what would you suggest to someone who wanted to immerse themselves in English culture?’
- ‘This has given English identity a slightly menacing face, and consequently has discouraged the celebration of Englishness.’
- ‘This is the starting point for Blunkett's attempts, in a major speech today, to formulate a progressive definition of Englishness.’
- ‘Its joyous and expansive nature together with its Englishness has given this short work a world popularity that is almost unrivalled.’
- ‘They are things that determine Englishness, for good or bad.’
- ‘It's easy to see how that loss of Englishness could use a visible minority as a scapegoat.’
- ‘All his work is in some way connected with the continuum of history and an exploration of Englishness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.