One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An alto woodwind instrument of the oboe family, having a bulbous bell and sounding a fifth lower than the oboe.
- ‘He's served as an Air Force bandsman for 20 years and can just as easily strike a tune on an English horn.’
- ‘Even he played English horn on occasion.’
- ‘Delicately scored for English horn, harp, and two percussionists, it was described by the composer as ‘a garden of sounds and silences.’’
- ‘Berckmans is still on board, and his oboe, bassoon and English horn remain a major part of the group's mediaeval chamber music sound.’
- ‘She is playing oboe and English horn in the Academy Concert Band and the West Point Woodwind Quintet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.