One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An alto woodwind instrument of the oboe family, having a bulbous bell and sounding a fifth lower than the oboe.
- ‘Delicately scored for English horn, harp, and two percussionists, it was described by the composer as ‘a garden of sounds and silences.’’
- ‘Berckmans is still on board, and his oboe, bassoon and English horn remain a major part of the group's mediaeval chamber music sound.’
- ‘Even he played English horn on occasion.’
- ‘She is playing oboe and English horn in the Academy Concert Band and the West Point Woodwind Quintet.’
- ‘He's served as an Air Force bandsman for 20 years and can just as easily strike a tune on an English horn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.