Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Charming and attractive.‘Sophie had a sunny personality that was very engaging’
charming, appealing, attractive, pretty, delightful, lovely, pleasing, pleasant, agreeable, likeable, lovable, sweet, winning, winsome, fetching, dazzling, arresting, captivating, enchanting, bewitching, alluring, irresistible, dreamy, heavenly, divine, gorgeousbonnysmashingtakingcomely, fairView synonyms
- ‘He was an engaging character who delighted in good company and was a good man to tell a story.’
- ‘Even though he had impeccable manners and an engaging smile, and also a ton of money, she knew he wasn't for her.’
- ‘Good looking, polo-playing and sporty, he appeared to have an eye for a pretty face and an engaging shyness that endeared him to many and helped him become one of the most sought after bachelors in the world.’
- ‘She smiled her most secretive and engaging smile and said nothing.’
- ‘One of the most interesting houses in Mayfair, an engaging contrast to its neighbours, with a starry host of former occupants.’
- ‘The paintings Cormac selected for view at the Garter Lane Centre comprise an engaging mix of land, sea and urban scapes alongside an array of still lives.’
- ‘Never did she fail to warmly greet people with her engaging smile and lively chat.’
- ‘He is a highly talented DJ, has a most pleasant and engaging voice, and would be a great loss to the radio station.’
- ‘Ade is a handsome 16-year-old in New York City with a warm, engaging smile.’
- ‘From everything I know, she is an engaging, likeable person, but she certainly isn't coming off as much of a team player.’
- ‘She has an engaging smile, she is discrete, and she is strong.’
- ‘Valery is a cheerful person with roguish brown eyes and an engaging smile.’
- ‘He must have been a very engaging speaker, a charming man.’
- ‘What interventions can be made at an architectural level to make our city a more engaging place to live?’
- ‘It is as visually appealing as its story is engaging and imaginative.’
- ‘His engaging personality, pretty face and impressive physique make him the envy of all the other models.’
- ‘Michelle immediately responded to his engaging personality and smiled in returned.’
- ‘I hadn't noticed it beforehand, but the way his face lifted when he beamed highlighted the engaging way his smile was the slightest bit crooked.’
- ‘They realize the engaging city offers them a home and a lifestyle like most of them have never experienced.’
- ‘I look at his engaging smile and listen to his loud laugh and kiss his soft little cheeks and I wonder.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.