Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The act of compelling observance of or compliance with a law, rule, or obligation.‘the strict enforcement of environmental regulations’
imposition, implementation, application, carrying out, administration, administering, discharge, fulfilment, execution, prosecution, pursuanceforcing, compelling, exacting, extorting, extortion, demanding, requiringView synonyms
- ‘Effective enforcement would be a must for any new parking strategy, says the Civic Society.’
- ‘There is a lack of strong legal institutions so legal enforcement is minimal.’
- ‘For laws to work, however, effective enforcement and sanctions must be in place.’
- ‘The dialogue between pub communities will be of huge help to police enforcement of any banning orders.’
- ‘There's been virtually no enforcement of the bus lanes since they were introduced a few years ago.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.