Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of hormones secreted within the brain and nervous system and having a number of physiological functions. They are peptides that activate the body's opiate receptors, causing an analgesic effect.
- ‘Doing so will help your body produce endorphins, feel-good brain chemicals that can counter feelings of stress.’
- ‘Exercise, too, can give you a real high and has been shown to have a profound effect on people who are depressed, possibly by releasing endorphins in the brain.’
- ‘It is well established that exercise improves mood, thanks to the powerful effect of chemical endorphins on the brain.’
- ‘Physical activity is known to influence the physiological production of endorphins in the brain that also elevate mood.’
- ‘This procedure is said to release detoxification by causing the release of endorphins, the body's pain killers.’
1970s: blend of endogenous and morphine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.