Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting glands which secrete hormones or other products directly into the blood.‘the endocrine system’
- ‘In addition, hormones from endocrine glands enter and leave the vascular system through regionally specialized capillaries.’
- ‘It was first isolated from the endocrine gland in the body which has primary responsibility for holding calcium levels in your blood within a very tight range.’
- ‘Once a hormone is secreted, it travels from the endocrine gland through the bloodstream to the cells designed to receive its message.’
- ‘The foundations of the endocrine system are the hormones and glands.’
- ‘Some are hormones, secreted by endocrine glands, and circulating in the blood, which leave through capillary walls to gain access to tissue fluids around their target cells.’
Early 20th century: from endo- ‘within’ + Greek krinein ‘sift’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.