One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting glands which secrete hormones or other products directly into the blood.‘the endocrine system’
- ‘In addition, hormones from endocrine glands enter and leave the vascular system through regionally specialized capillaries.’
- ‘Some are hormones, secreted by endocrine glands, and circulating in the blood, which leave through capillary walls to gain access to tissue fluids around their target cells.’
- ‘It was first isolated from the endocrine gland in the body which has primary responsibility for holding calcium levels in your blood within a very tight range.’
- ‘The foundations of the endocrine system are the hormones and glands.’
- ‘Once a hormone is secreted, it travels from the endocrine gland through the bloodstream to the cells designed to receive its message.’
Early 20th century: from endo- ‘within’ + Greek krinein ‘sift’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.