One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A specialized, encapsulated ending of a peripheral sensory nerve, which acts as a receptor for a stimulus.
- ‘This is especially important in children whose metabolism of drugs and sensitivity of end organs to them vary considerably with age and stage of development.’
- ‘These end organs differ in a variety of ways, including their frequency sensitivities.’
- ‘This behavioral bias might result in part from a mismatch between the spectral characteristics of the advertisement call and the most sensitive frequency of the peripheral end organ implicated in reception of these sounds.’
- ‘Allergic airway inflammation is characterized by recruitment and activation of inflammatory cells as well as by increased activities of mucosal end organs.’
2another term for target organ
- ‘The end organ effects of hypertension, particularly in the heart, brain and kidneys, can be devastating, leading to premature coronary, cerebral or renal arteriosclerosis.’
- ‘Either of these receptors has an excitatory or inhibitory effect on the end organ.’
- ‘The rest is metabolized after uptake into the end organ.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.