Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A specialized, encapsulated ending of a peripheral sensory nerve, which acts as a receptor for a stimulus.
- ‘These end organs differ in a variety of ways, including their frequency sensitivities.’
- ‘This behavioral bias might result in part from a mismatch between the spectral characteristics of the advertisement call and the most sensitive frequency of the peripheral end organ implicated in reception of these sounds.’
- ‘Allergic airway inflammation is characterized by recruitment and activation of inflammatory cells as well as by increased activities of mucosal end organs.’
- ‘This is especially important in children whose metabolism of drugs and sensitivity of end organs to them vary considerably with age and stage of development.’
2another term for target organ
- ‘Either of these receptors has an excitatory or inhibitory effect on the end organ.’
- ‘The end organ effects of hypertension, particularly in the heart, brain and kidneys, can be devastating, leading to premature coronary, cerebral or renal arteriosclerosis.’
- ‘The rest is metabolized after uptake into the end organ.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.