One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See encouragingas sentence adverb ‘encouragingly, there is more research being done today’as submodifier ‘the level of activity continues to be encouragingly high’
- ‘Equally, casualties among our troops have been encouragingly low.’
- ‘However, the majority of the feedback [both online and off] has been encouragingly positive.’
- ‘The entire room continued to stare stonily at me while Wanda nodded encouragingly.’
- ‘A reasonable number of anglers fished the lake and, encouragingly, reported that good numbers of fish were observed.’
- ‘Most encouragingly, everyone believes that improvement is possible and practicable.’
- ‘Margaret was smiling encouragingly, so she continued.’
- ‘Instead I nod sagely and smile encouragingly because there is actually nothing worse than the sleeplessness that comes with a new baby.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.