Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rolled tortilla with a filling typically of meat and served with a chili sauce.
- ‘Soft wheat tortillas are more often used in quesadillas and fajitas, while soft corn tortillas make wonderful enchiladas.’
- ‘In April, the town comes alive with a 10-day festival, where every street is filled with stalls selling tacos, sweetcorn, enchiladas, chilli hot dogs and cakes.’
- ‘There's a decent range of Spanish and Mexican dishes on offer too, including three paellas and staple New World offerings such as fajitas, enchiladas and tacos.’
- ‘Cheese enchiladas, the sign outside the dining hall proclaimed.’
- ‘If you are into Mexican food they serve menudo, fajitas, various types of tacos, enchiladas, carnitas, rice, beans and more.’
- ‘Fresh tortillas are eaten as bread, used as plate and spoon, or filled to make composite dishes such as tacos and enchiladas.’
- ‘We also had the Mexican style skirt steak with cheese enchilada and Mexican rice and beans, sizzling fajitas and the BBQ ribs.’
- ‘There are plenty of tacos, quesadillas and enchiladas in various combos featuring either chicken, beef or shrimp to be had - some served with rice and/or beans.’
- ‘They served enchiladas, pinto beans, tossed salad, and fruit gelatin.’
- ‘But soon, her job at the cafeteria opens her palate to the delights of pastas, pizzas, enchiladas, falafel, potato pierogis, and vegetable fried rice.’
- ‘Where else can you get organic pizza, enchiladas and eggrolls on a moment's notice?’
- ‘Shown to tables, they open their menus, pondering beef versus chicken enchiladas, or maybe tacos al carbon.’
- ‘The restaurant offers mainly a decent sized Mexican menu with dishes like nachos, burritos, enchiladas and some of the tastiest tacos you'll find in town.’
- ‘You can dig into the various specialities, including cheese enchiladas with green sauce, Mexican fajitas with paella sauce, Mexican pizza and hot and hell shrimps.’
- ‘‘But wouldn't you rather have cheese enchiladas and burritos and other things? ‘she inquires.’’
- ‘In March, Barrio's kitchen will present main course dishes such as burritos, enchiladas and tacos.’
- ‘He said it served a good power lunch; herb tea, cold salads and enchiladas - all efficacious stress reducers - were on the menu.’
- ‘These wines can match up quite well with spicy foods, from barbecued brisket to beef enchiladas.’
- ‘There are varieties of enchiladas and tortillas to choose from.’
- ‘There, children make tortilla soup or black-bean enchiladas, then sit down to feast at tables covered with red-checked cloths and vases bursting with tulips and daffodils from the garden.’
Latin American Spanish, feminine past participle of enchilar season with chili.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.