One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A place with temporary accommodations consisting of huts or tents, typically for troops or nomads.
camp, military camp, bivouac, cantonment, barracks, base, station, postView synonyms
- ‘On this occasion the unemployed workers decided to set up a tent encampment outside the council gates.’
- ‘Siri watched him leave the temporary encampment, and then looked around at the site.’
- ‘Homeowners have received an anonymous letter warning them of an increase in illegal encampments on the green belt site.’
- ‘The committee decided that most illegal traveller encampments were caused by a lack of places to stop.’
- ‘Dinner is at an ancient outdoor Bedouin encampment.’
- ‘We're going to shift north to avoid an enemy encampment.’
- ‘Use of this equipment in planning your route into an enemy encampment is essential.’
- ‘Together, William and the king, Jonathan, walked through the army encampment.’
- ‘It was Faouzi's idea to stop within sight of a nomad encampment on the way home.’
- ‘The new policy will have to deal with a rising number of unauthorised encampments in the borough.’
- ‘The soldiers have setup a battlefield encampment that sends injured soldiers through a five-step process.’
- ‘They have remained committed for over a decade, despite the permanent encampment of 20,000 troops surrounding them.’
- ‘The squall of a baby using its lungs for the first time rang out over the Bedouin encampment.’
- ‘The full moon slowly rises, orange-red above the Georgia forest, illuminating a small encampment of tents and camouflage.’
- ‘He led them through the encampment of blue tents; it was like walking through a ghost town.’
- ‘We were worried about enemy patrols and the risk of tripping landmines on the trail or on the site of the old encampment.’
- ‘Finally, the young warrior came to the clearing in the woods that was their temporary encampment.’
- ‘Intelligence on the strength of enemy units, location of encampments, and designs of fortifications was almost nil.’
- ‘Some of the areas have been turned over to contractors who will construct an encampment for 5,000 soldiers.’
- ‘Both local authorities had in place policies and procedures relating to unauthorised Traveller encampments.’
- 1.1 The process of setting up a camp.
- ‘Superficially, capitalism's main impact seemed to be the encampments of kiosks in public spaces, engaged in selling all kinds of home and foreign items at high prices.’
- ‘In the midst of the night, this encampment in these sparse woods on the edge of Ther'kass was eerily silent.’
- ‘Several government bodies are major landowners and their land may be subject to unauthorised encampment - examples include the Forestry Commission and the Highways Agency.’
- ‘A staggering 25 tonnes of rubbish and building rubble was left behind after the four day encampment on the main car park at Pennington Flash Country Park.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.