One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of molecules that are mirror images of each other.
- ‘Such isomers are called enantiomers and molecules that have enantiomers are said to be chiral or to show chirality.’
- ‘Recently, though, it was discovered that life itself can generate a particular enantiomer or chiral form of a particular molecule.’
- ‘Racemic mixtures contain equal amounts of the two enantiomers.’
- ‘As with hands, chiral molecules can occur in two different forms, called enantiomers, which are mirror-images of one another.’
- ‘This development has made it easier to monitor pesticide enantiomers that differ significantly in their toxicity.’
- ‘One of the principal barriers to high yield is the creation of both enantiomers of a chiral compound, when only one is desired.’
1930s: from Greek enantios ‘opposite’ + -mer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.