One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverb
In a pastry crust.as postpositive adjective ‘salmon en croute’as adverb ‘goat's cheese is particularly tasty baked en croute’
- ‘For the main course, I chose baked salmon en croute with Brie and wild mushrooms, on buttered vegetables with chive cream.’
- ‘Back on the Orient Express, it is guinea fowl en croute with champagne jelly for afters.’
- ‘I chose the heaviest dish on the menu, the beef fillet with pâté en croute.’
- ‘My 18-month-old niece stole the show as always, sitting in her high chair and eating her own individual boeuf en croute.’
- ‘My father thoroughly enjoyed his fillet of salmon en croute, finishing off the whole plate.’
- ‘The tantalising starters from the buffet table included such delicacies as wild boar sausage, venison pate en croute with walnuts, and grilled artichoke salad.’
- ‘How about a salmon en croute in a flaky crust that goes from oven to table in 2.5 minutes?’
French en croûte.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.