One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But now that the first shock was over, now that life without them stretched emptily before me, I could not comprehend it.’
- ‘‘No,’ she whispered, turning away from him, staring emptily at the fire.’
- ‘Too many films are too much alike, too emptily professional.’
- ‘‘No, there is nothing there,’ said Luke emptily.’
- ‘Of course, after another moment we stared at each other emptily.’
- ‘Nick's yell echoed emptily around the arena again.’
- ‘Amid the crumbling plaster and tattered curtains, they spin out a private little reality that emptily echoes a life without meaning.’
- ‘People scarred by violence are often shells of their former selves, hollowed-out structures that move emptily through the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.