One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A formula giving the proportions of the elements present in a compound but not the actual numbers or arrangement of atoms.
- ‘Butene and ethene have the same empirical formula CH 2 but different molecular and structural formulas.’
- ‘The simplest version of the formula is the empirical formula.’
- ‘The empirical formula of a compound is that which is obtained through laboratory research.’
- ‘When the chemical formula of an ionic compound is written down, it is the empirical formula that is used.’
- ‘Analysis showed it to have an empirical formula that doesn't correspond to any compound that's ever been reported.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.