One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The largest species of penguin. It has a yellow patch on each side of the head and rears its young during the Antarctic winter.
Aptenodytes forsteri, family Spheniscidae
- ‘Raging hormones might help explain why female emperor penguins that have lost a baby sometimes kidnap the chick of another.’
- ‘I ended the book with a photograph of an emperor penguin chick from the Antarctic.’
- ‘Ponganis, the emperor penguin expert, says increased tourism may have negative effects on penguin populations.’
- ‘The emperor penguin is the largest penguin species and also one of the few found in Antarctica.’
- ‘An emperor penguin is a hefty bird, weighing about forty pounds - in the same range as the flightless South American rhea, which is similar to an ostrich.’
- ‘It was also thought that the emperor penguin was the most primitive of existing birds, so the contents of the penguin's eggs might reveal the evolutionary origin of birds.’
- ‘But what really fascinates, and confounds, scientists is the emperor penguin's abilities as a deep-sea diver.’
- ‘Of the 17 species of penguins, the largest is the emperor penguin: At 4 feet tall and 65 to 90 pounds, it is about three times the size of the smallest.’
- ‘Only one bird - the emperor penguin - will winter on Antarctica and use the frozen continent as a nursery.’
- ‘Unexpectedly, a large emperor penguin came sliding in from miles away to watch us.’
- ‘That astonishing insulation is critical because not only do emperor penguins rear their young in the extreme Antarctic environment - they do it while fasting.’
- ‘Love, it turns out, has very little to do with the mating habits of the emperor penguin.’
- ‘Adelies are one of only two penguin species, the other being the emperor penguin, that breed on the shores of the Antarctic continent.’
- ‘The only apex predators that live year-round at high latitudes of the Ross Sea are the Weddell seal and emperor penguin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.