One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of an actor) portray emotion in a theatrical manner.
- ‘The different areas to be dealt during the two-day workshop would include acting techniques, characterisation and body language, emoting and voice modulation.’
- ‘Since women are much better at emoting - they seem to have more emotions’
- ‘It's a documentary theater piece, so once the actors start emoting, it's over.’
- ‘She also said that dance helped her emote better as an actor.’
- ‘The film's grainy, bleak look is joined to suffocating dramatic situations in which the actors emote without restraint.’
- ‘Not many actors are able to emote in a long-shot or in a lengthy shot.’
- ‘He demonstrates the importance of the actors' contribution by pointing to the difficulty advertisers have had, since the strike began, getting non-union actors to emote convincingly.’
- ‘She does more emoting as an interviewer than most actors do in the course of an entire film.’
- ‘There were no acting schools during the time I forayed into the industry, and the fact that I was a Bharatanatyam dancer helped me emote well in front of the camera.’
- ‘Some of what's found in this movie is laugh-worthy only because of the way in which the actors emote and react.’
- ‘The one real weakness is the central performance by a less than distinguished actor who tends to go overboard when he tries to emote.’
- ‘The apes in this film are incredibly detailed, with masks and makeup that allow the actors underneath to emote through the latex.’
- ‘And somehow, those wooden puppets managed to emote more than the actors in Revenge of the Sith.’
- ‘Moreover, the ability to emote on screen is another qualification that an actor should possess.’
- ‘The actors must recite stylized dialogue in mannered deliveries, and emote nonverbally in ways that few other directors demand.’
- ‘In both cases the war was the background, the setting for gleamy-toothed actors to strut and emote.’
Early 20th century (originally US): back-formation from emotion.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.