Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small digital image or icon used to express an idea, emotion, etc.‘emoji liven up your text messages with tiny smiley faces’
- ‘She'll insert the clapping hands emoji to congratulate.’
- ‘The text message consisted of a series of banana emojis.’
- ‘Just as fast as the emoji arrived, the evolution is on the horizon - icons you can personalize.’
- ‘Earlier today we asked you, faithful Twitter followers, which emojis you most despised.’
- ‘On my devices, I have three keyboards configured: English, Italian and Emoji.’
- ‘It also includes an extensive list of over 500 Emoji for a vivid commenting experience.’
- ‘Thanks to emoji, the subtlety of first generation emoticons could be lost on younger generations.’
- ‘Add a photo to the conversation and/or send some of the 800+ emoji to your co-workers.’
- ‘Purists value keyboard-only emoticons, while younger generations embrace an advanced set of icons - the emoji.’
- ‘It's unfortunate that the commonality of social interaction relies on the implied tone of voice through emojis, emoticons, textual jargon and caps lock.’
- ‘Nobody designs online features better, and its article on how emoji conquered the world is a first-rate example.’
- ‘Although emojis have added a level of expression to texting, the written mode of communication still falls short of saying what you really feel.’
- ‘You can still use the default iOS emoji within Facebook Messages by enabling them in your device's keyboard settings.’
- ‘It's a more engaged way to communicate and will finally allow you to send more than just emojis back and forth.’
- ‘Creative, colorful, and sometimes perplexing, emoji add energy to SMS messages.’
1990s: Japanese, from e picture + moji letter, character.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.