One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A statuette awarded annually to an outstanding television program or performer.as modifier ‘an Emmy award’
- ‘His collaborations were honoured with many Bafta, RTS and Emmy nominations and awards.’
- ‘Multiple awards including an Academy Award, an Academy Award nomination and three Emmys have honored his work.’
- ‘Take, for example, the shows that are getting accolades and Emmys.’
- ‘It was the first show to use satellite feeds and stop-action sequences, and it won four Emmys its first year.’
- ‘He has won two Emmys for Outstanding Game Show Host.’
- ‘These writers, who should have even more Emmys than they do, can make anything hilarious.’
- ‘He holds court behind his large desk, surrounded by his many Emmys.’
- ‘The show has earned 12 Emmys, one for Outstanding Comedy Series.’
- ‘Currently nominated for four Emmys, the program has won 17 Emmy Awards and has been nominated for 85 since its debut.’
- ‘It was the second time that the Emmys, the television industry's highest honours and its equivalent of the Oscars, had been postponed in three weeks.’
- ‘His work has received countless awards, including eight Emmys.’
- ‘According to my sources, the Emmys - the Oscars of television - are going to be hosted by no less than seven comedians.’
- ‘If there's been anything predictable about the Emmys recently, it's that they're not always predictable.’
- ‘It's won four Emmys for outstanding drama series and it's weighing in with about eight million viewers this season.’
- ‘There she served as executive producer for a number of co-productions with partners, including the BBC, and won three international Emmys.’
- ‘This year, a satirical chat show, The Daily Show, with Jon Stewart, was awarded two Emmys.’
- ‘As part of this, I work as a script consultant on movies and television shows and have won several Emmys.’
1940s: said to be from Immy, short for image orthicon tube (a kind of television camera tube).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.