Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance that stimulates or increases menstrual flow.
- ‘Macrotys is unique in combining emmenagogue (blood moving) and antispasmodic properties.’
- ‘Both herbs are emmenagogues - they bring down the menstrual flow.’
- ‘They are often taken as an emmenagogue and given as a vermifuge.’
- ‘In the Philippines, it is used as an emmenagogue (an agent to induce menstruation).’
- ‘One of its prime uses was as an abortifacient and emmenagogue.’
- ‘The Chinese variety has emmenagogue and diuretic properties and is used for delayed menstruation and urinary problems.’
Early 18th century: from Greek emmēna menses + agōgos eliciting.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.