Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A master of ceremonies.
- ‘I am one with the crowd and my years as an emcee stand me in good stead.’
- ‘The emcees kept the flow going by introducing each item with a brief description.’
- ‘When an emcee is on stage, some people say its not theater.’
- ‘I found the show very entertaining, a great combination of physical strength, endurance, slapstick, and witty repartee between the lumberjacks and the emcee.’
- ‘It was a big to-do in San Francisco's opera house back then, with Sam Donaldson and Alan Cumming as emcees… but it was also the dying days of the dotcom exuberance.’
- ‘After the drivers were introduced by a traveling emcee called ‘The Motor Mouth,’ an invocation and the national anthem, cars left at one-minute intervals to cheers from the crowd.’
- ‘Bill Irwin is a masterful comedian, a world-class mime, and a witty emcee.’
- ‘Lewis was replaced as host by Dennis James, who was even worse, and other emcees were tried.’
- ‘The emcee, a university official, casually noted in her introduction that the school ‘will proceed with its affirmative action policies no matter what the Supreme Court does.’’
- ‘There will be an emcee to conduct quizzes and give away prizes and freebies.’
- ‘Television personality Star Jones served as emcee for the evening.’
- ‘As an emcee, you'll make maybe $250 a week, with features making $400 - $500 and headliners around $1000.’
- ‘It was a great evening - the comedians were hilarious (Scott Falconbridge was the emcee, Dana Alexander was one comedian, and Mike Dambra was the headliner).’
- ‘After the obnoxious announcer, who clearly wished he had been bestowed with the honour of actually being counted as a storyteller and not simply the emcee, I was not in a mood most receptive to storytelling.’
- ‘Lana arrives downstairs just as the emcee introduces Dr. Yolanda Jones.’
- ‘After a short stint as an emcee of ‘Earn Your Vacation,’ Carson got his own half-hour comedy show, called ‘The Johnny Carson Show.’’
- ‘Pre-game festivities will include a special guest emcee doing player introductions.’
- ‘The emcees asked the classic is-there-a-doctor-in-the-house question, and four popped up to give aid.’
- ‘Well, that's what we're trying to prevent here’ said the emcee, explaining the need for security measures at a recent preview screening of Johnny English.’
Perform the role of a master of ceremonies at (a public entertainment or a large social occasion)
- ‘Cary Grant and I emceed this Victory Caravan.’
- ‘I emceed the dinner for Rudi Giuliani the other night, and the crowd is just enormously buoyed and up.’
- ‘CBC radio announcer Katherine Duncan will emcee the event, which is put on by the the Book Publishers Association and the Writers Guild of Alberta.’
- ‘I emcee things at Carefree all the time but it was so different to emcee a festival.’
- ‘Main Events' Carl Moretti emceed the event as all six major combatants and their trainers were brought up one at a time to give their insight to Saturdays Mega-Card.’
- ‘Afterwards, it was all back to Shenanigans for the superb Carvery and Happy Hour, and the prize giving ceremony emceed by Shenanigans tournament director Mike Franklin.’
- ‘The promoter of the contest, NPC Maryland district chairman Todd Swinney, brought in Shawn Ray to emcee the event.’
- ‘Seymour, a painter herself, helped emcee the event and donated a canvas - a floral still life, which fetched $5,000 in the evening's benefit auction.’
- ‘Sunday night I have to emcee a concert at Orchestra Hall, which is fun, in a terrifying sort of way; nothing I do quite equals the paralyzing moment of walking on stage and seeing that vast auditorium filled to the rafters.’
- ‘He was also instrumental in getting always-vocal Shawn Ray to emcee the contest.’
- ‘Recently, I emceed a performance by eleven New England dance schools who shared their talents to raise money for the The Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund.’
- ‘Sunday I emcee another concert at Orchestra Hall, and I will put on the black uniform as usual.’
- ‘Former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw will emcee the event.’
- ‘Diamond Dave ably emceed the party and entertained all throughout.’
- ‘Just a bit after 400 PM, the speakers began, and the ceremony was emceed by Gil Mallory, President of Amtrak West.’
- ‘Perhaps someday Tony will step into his father's shoes to emcee city events in the English language?’
- ‘This festival of performance is emceed by Joe Giamalva, a director, dancer and choreographer, and is host to more than seventeen studios.’
- ‘We went - at two inaugurals, his first inaugural I emceed an event at the Lincoln Memorial.’
- ‘Deco Drive's colorful Daisy Deadpetals will emcee the fashion event.’
- ‘And Robbins, who emceed the event, says everyone who is able to help should do what they can.’
1930s: representing the pronunciation of MC.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.