Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cell inside the ovule of a flowering plant where fertilization occurs and which becomes the female gametophyte, containing the endosperm nucleus and the fertilized ovum that develops into the embryo.
- ‘Gametophytic apomixis can result from diplospory, in which the unreduced embryo sac originates from a generative cell, or apospory, in which the embryo sac develops from somatic cells of the ovule.’
- ‘During pollination, the vegetative cell serves as a ‘powerhouse’ to deliver the generative cells to the embryo sac (female gametophyte).’
- ‘The sporogenous cells of the ovary lead to the production of the female gametophyte or embryo sac that contains the egg cell.’
- ‘The resulting unreduced megaspore then develops through mitoses into an embryo sac that contains unreduced nuclei.’
- ‘Moreover, within an embryo sac, endosperm nuclei were always of the same size, with no typical chalazal cyst formed in endosperms with three or more syncytial mitoses.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.