Surgical removal of an embolus.
- ‘It showed that patients treated with thrombolytic therapy had a higher death rate, increased risk of major hemorrhage and an increased rate of PE recurrence when compared with patients treated surgically with embolectomy.’
- ‘Finally, acute pulmonary embolectomy may be beneficial in the unstable patient who has not responded to conventional treatments.’
- ‘Surgical embolectomy is restricted to life threatening proximal thrombosis where all else has failed.’
- ‘Available modes of treatment include bowel-sparing approaches such as surgical laparotomy with embolectomy or local infusion of thrombolytic agents via an abdominal aortic catheter.’
- ‘A therapeutic approach to a patient who fails thrombolytic therapy, anticoagulation and placement of a filter includes surgical or catheter embolectomy.’