Remove (an adsorbed substance) by washing with a solvent, especially in chromatography.
- ‘Bound material was then eluted with 0.2 M methyl mannoside in the same buffer.’
- ‘After repeated washing captured proteins were eluted from the resin using 10 mM DTT.’
- ‘A radioactive compound identified as p-coumaroyl ß-glucosyl ester was eluted and stored frozen.’
- ‘The clear supernatant was loaded onto a Ni-chelating column, and bound protein was eluted with 500 mM imidazole.’
- ‘After extensive washing of the unbound protein with 40 mM imidazole, the GHS protein was eluted with 250 mM imidazole.’
1920s: from Latin elut- washed out from the verb eluere, suggested by German eluieren.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.