One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solution obtained by elution.
- ‘Concentrated CKs were eluted from the cartridges with ethanol and the eluates were evaporated to dryness.’
- ‘This elution step was repeated twice and eluates were pooled.’
- ‘After removal of the methanol of the combined eluates under reduced pressure, the pH of the aqueous fraction was adjusted to 3.0 and partitioned three times against ethyl acetate at pH 3.’
- ‘Radioactive thiols in the eluate were identified by comparison with the fluorescence peaks of mBBr derivatives and by S-cysteine, S-glutathione and S-sulphate standards.’
- ‘Aliquots of eluates containing proteins were rapidly frozen in liquid nitrogen and stored at - 80°C for protein determination and enzyme activities.’
1930s: from Latin eluere ‘wash out’ + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.