Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A name for God used frequently in the Hebrew Bible.
- ‘This phenomenon is symbolized by the first part of the word Elohim being separated, at least intellectually, from the second part.’
- ‘For example, it is permissible to pronounce the word Elohim when it is an obvious reference to human judges or false gods, or Tzeva'ot when it refers to armies.’
- ‘One of the names for God in the oldest parts of the Hebrew Bible is Elohim, which literally means ‘the Gods.’’
- ‘The heart of the universe beats with the pulse of the name Elohim.’
- ‘They are supposedly referenced in the Bible in the form of the Elohim, the plural form of God used in Genesis.’
- ‘Other critics say that the words Elohim and Yahweh indicate two different authors, and, who lived well after Moses' time.’
- ‘As noted earlier, this name signifies kindness and compassion, as contrasted with the name Elohim, which refers to God as the harsh but just judge.’
- ‘This is why, Kabbalah points out, the numerical value or gematria, of Elohim and ha-teva ‘nature ‘are equal.’’
- ‘The opening passage of Torah begins: ‘In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth.’’
- ‘This is why observant Hebrews avoid writing a Name of Elohim on web sites like this one, or in newsgroup messages, because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.’
- ‘In some ways the Greek Bible is more self-consciously un-Greek, its ‘Lord God’ more removed from manifestation, than the Elohim and Yahweh of the Hebrew text it was translating.’
- ‘The name Elohim is therefore interpreted to indicate that God is the ‘master of all power.’’
From Hebrew 'ĕlōhīm (plural).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.