One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Just as a paradigm of mechanical prescriptivism took hold of the elocutionary movement in the nineteenth century, so too did it pervade instruction in handwriting.’
- ‘Its relatively stable set of themes, motifs, generic forms, and elocutionary devices invites an inclusive study that, Gordon Braden rightly notes, eludes our grasp.’
- ‘The elocutionary movement that pervaded both academic and popular spheres of nineteenth-century rhetorical life actually began some decades before, in the latter half of the eighteenth century.’
- ‘The pure work implies the elocutionary disappearance of the poet.’
- ‘It is discourse stripped of meaning, an elocutionary fragment that represents a form of expression that, at that time, was already referred to as ‘trance, hypnotic, or intentionless’ music.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.