Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1North American "( plural same or elks ) "A red deer of a large race native to North America.Also called wapiti
- 1.1British another term for moose
- ‘Researchers are not even sure yet how the disease spreads from deer to deer or elk to elk.’
- ‘Much more demanding is big game hunting for brown bear, elk and deer.’
- ‘Traditionally, the Blackfoot made their clothing from the hides of buffalo, deer, elk, and antelope.’
- ‘Coyotes, white-tailed deer, elk, and even alligators can cause problems on the ground.’
- ‘The land around the ranch is a protected wintering area for elk, deer and bighorn sheep.’
- ‘After I swapped for it, I took six mule deer and an elk before moving up to more ‘modern’ guns.’
- ‘In some parts of America, people like to hunt deer, elk and bears, while in other areas they hunt wild boars.’
- ‘Although they scavenge less often than Bald Eagles, they will eat carrion of deer and elk, especially in winter.’
- ‘Not long ago my friend Steve Johns was talking with a Colorado hunting guide who had led Koenig on elk and mule deer hunts.’
- ‘Prion diseases occur in sheep, goats, mink, mule deer, elk, cats and cows.’
- ‘Bears in Glacier National Park follow wolf packs and mountain lions to remote regions using them as providers of meals of deer and elk.’
- ‘They resemble in these respects similar grooves on the antlers of moose and elk and the frill and horns of Triceratops.’
- ‘Soon after the studies began, however, Foothills deer and elk began dying from a mysterious disease.’
- ‘Deer, elk, and sometimes bobcat and coyote may be seen or heard from the cabin boundary.’
- ‘Deer, elk, bear and mountain lions can all be found at this attitude.’
- ‘Since the area was once home to buffalo, elk, deer, and antelope herds, grazing is another management tool.’
- ‘All of the evidence suggests, therefore, that the drawing was probably intended to represent a deer or perhaps an elk.’
- ‘As these species became extinct, the giant birds switched to bison, elk, and deer.’
- ‘It had yielded both mule deer and elk for us in the past.’
- ‘The wildflowers will be out and so will the elk, deer, sea lions, seals, and sea birds.’
2"( plural Elks ) "A member of a charitable fraternal organization, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
- ‘But how many Elks club presidents are inviting you to speak?’
- ‘Someone booked them for a party held annually at a local Elks club, most of whose members are retirees and older yuppies with children.’
- ‘Police arrested Elks, now of no fixed address, who admitted the offences.’
- ‘After hours of drinking at the Elks Club in Larimer, they were hungry.’
- ‘We want to be just like the Elks Club, only no funny hats, and we don't want to be 60.’
- ‘Those few women who do like ice fishing, golf, bowling, or poker are the reason God invented the Elks club.’
- ‘In the meantime, the Twenty-second Annual Reunion of the Micromounters of New England was held on 15 May at the Elks Lodge in Hudson, Massachusetts.’
- ‘Before that, he had landed his first gig at St. Paul's Elks Club in the mid '70s, when he was still too young to drink, and went on to spin regularly at P.J. Clarke's.’
- ‘At 16, he gave a speech in a local contest, condemning the Elks for barring blacks.’
- ‘The original Elks lodge burned in the 1901 fire.’
- ‘She collected exactly $999.99 through a rapid succession of phone calls to fellow Elks members.’
- ‘In Emerson the Elks, Legion, 4 - H club and recreation director are combining forces to plan a fun-filled day for families, says Al Wilson.’
Late 15th century: probably from Old English elh, eolh, with substitution of k for h. Other words that have undergone this change are dialect selk ( Old English seolh seal) and fark ( Old English færh farrow).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.