Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1North American A red deer of a large race native to North America.Also called wapiti
- 1.1British another term for moose
- ‘The land around the ranch is a protected wintering area for elk, deer and bighorn sheep.’
- ‘Prion diseases occur in sheep, goats, mink, mule deer, elk, cats and cows.’
- ‘Since the area was once home to buffalo, elk, deer, and antelope herds, grazing is another management tool.’
- ‘Soon after the studies began, however, Foothills deer and elk began dying from a mysterious disease.’
- ‘Bears in Glacier National Park follow wolf packs and mountain lions to remote regions using them as providers of meals of deer and elk.’
- ‘Deer, elk, and sometimes bobcat and coyote may be seen or heard from the cabin boundary.’
- ‘As these species became extinct, the giant birds switched to bison, elk, and deer.’
- ‘Much more demanding is big game hunting for brown bear, elk and deer.’
- ‘Not long ago my friend Steve Johns was talking with a Colorado hunting guide who had led Koenig on elk and mule deer hunts.’
- ‘All of the evidence suggests, therefore, that the drawing was probably intended to represent a deer or perhaps an elk.’
- ‘In some parts of America, people like to hunt deer, elk and bears, while in other areas they hunt wild boars.’
- ‘The wildflowers will be out and so will the elk, deer, sea lions, seals, and sea birds.’
- ‘They resemble in these respects similar grooves on the antlers of moose and elk and the frill and horns of Triceratops.’
- ‘After I swapped for it, I took six mule deer and an elk before moving up to more ‘modern’ guns.’
- ‘Traditionally, the Blackfoot made their clothing from the hides of buffalo, deer, elk, and antelope.’
- ‘Although they scavenge less often than Bald Eagles, they will eat carrion of deer and elk, especially in winter.’
- ‘It had yielded both mule deer and elk for us in the past.’
- ‘Coyotes, white-tailed deer, elk, and even alligators can cause problems on the ground.’
- ‘Deer, elk, bear and mountain lions can all be found at this attitude.’
- ‘Researchers are not even sure yet how the disease spreads from deer to deer or elk to elk.’
2A member of a charitable fraternal organization, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
- ‘She collected exactly $999.99 through a rapid succession of phone calls to fellow Elks members.’
- ‘Before that, he had landed his first gig at St. Paul's Elks Club in the mid '70s, when he was still too young to drink, and went on to spin regularly at P.J. Clarke's.’
- ‘At 16, he gave a speech in a local contest, condemning the Elks for barring blacks.’
- ‘Someone booked them for a party held annually at a local Elks club, most of whose members are retirees and older yuppies with children.’
- ‘Police arrested Elks, now of no fixed address, who admitted the offences.’
- ‘We want to be just like the Elks Club, only no funny hats, and we don't want to be 60.’
- ‘In the meantime, the Twenty-second Annual Reunion of the Micromounters of New England was held on 15 May at the Elks Lodge in Hudson, Massachusetts.’
- ‘But how many Elks club presidents are inviting you to speak?’
- ‘After hours of drinking at the Elks Club in Larimer, they were hungry.’
- ‘In Emerson the Elks, Legion, 4 - H club and recreation director are combining forces to plan a fun-filled day for families, says Al Wilson.’
- ‘Those few women who do like ice fishing, golf, bowling, or poker are the reason God invented the Elks club.’
- ‘The original Elks lodge burned in the 1901 fire.’
Late 15th century: probably from Old English elh, eolh, with substitution of k for h. Other words that have undergone this change are dialect selk ( Old English seolh seal) and fark ( Old English færh farrow).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.