Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Graceful and stylish appearance or manner; elegance.
- ‘Elegancy are timelessness are in the air.’
- ‘The second was green and almost see-through, its fragile elegancy disturbed only by a shallow circular hole on one side.’
- ‘Our vision was to create for our guests a place of inspiration, ‘a home away from home’, combining elegancy, individuality, pleasure and comfort.’
- ‘We got inside the red-carpeted resort, full of elegancy and expense.’
2Something that is elegant.‘I do hope you will study a little of the proprieties and elegancies of life’
- ‘With many it is a curious fancy, to dress Easter-eggs in elegant forms and keep as toilet elegancies.’
- ‘Perhaps it was not fair to expect him to feel how very much he was her inferior in talent, and all the elegancies of mind.’
- ‘The gentlewoman's primary appeal over time came to rest on the ‘elegancies of her person’, and as with any ‘gentlewoman’ in ‘semi-civilized’ society, woe betide her if she should step outside her ‘department.’’
- ‘When we were packing up the things to come here, our friends expressed their astonishment at our taking so many of the little elegancies of life.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.