One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of bonding) resulting from electrostatic attraction between positive and negative ions; ionic.
- ‘Another type of bond that occurs when electrons are transferred between atoms is called an ionic bond (or electrovalent bond).’
- ‘Or they can just borrow them, and make an ionic bond (also called electrovalent bond).’
- ‘Scientists also call ionic bonds electrovalent bonds.’
- ‘They are ready to give up those two electrons in electrovalent bonds.’
- ‘There are two main types of bonds that hold those atoms together, covalent and electrovalent / ionic bonds.’
- ‘There is one type of bonding called electrovalent bonding where an ion from one atom is transferred to another atom.’
- ‘The bond that is formed between the two ions is an ionic bond (sometimes also called an electrovalent bond), and the compound produced is an ionic compound.’
1920s: from electro- + -valent, on the pattern of trivalent.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.