One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for detecting and measuring electricity, especially as an indication of the ionization of air by radioactivity.
- ‘This was used on his electroscopes and on his ionisation chambers for the work that he did with alpha particles.’
- ‘Consider a case in which the presence of an electrically charged body is determined by operations with an electroscope.’
- ‘By suspending pieces of tape from a straw, you can build an electroscope, a device that detects electrical charge.’
- ‘After boiling it again, he measured the decay of the resulting radon gas with a gold leaf electroscope.’
- ‘Leaf electroscopes are very sensitive instruments useful in qualitative and quantitative investigations of static electrification.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.