One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for detecting and measuring electricity, especially as an indication of the ionization of air by radioactivity.
- ‘By suspending pieces of tape from a straw, you can build an electroscope, a device that detects electrical charge.’
- ‘Leaf electroscopes are very sensitive instruments useful in qualitative and quantitative investigations of static electrification.’
- ‘Consider a case in which the presence of an electrically charged body is determined by operations with an electroscope.’
- ‘This was used on his electroscopes and on his ionisation chambers for the work that he did with alpha particles.’
- ‘After boiling it again, he measured the decay of the resulting radon gas with a gold leaf electroscope.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.