Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A record of the electrical activity of the retina, used in medical diagnosis and research.
- ‘Animals were restrained such that their pleopods were free to generate respiratory currents across the gills, and recordings of the electroretinogram were made from intact eyes of living animals.’
- ‘The electroretinogram is a noninvasive physiologic technique for recording electrical potentials from the retina in response to flashes of light.’
- ‘The spectral properties of visual pigments can be measured using a variety of methods such as microspectrophotometry, single-cell recordings, and electroretinograms.’
- ‘We have relied on a two-phase screening strategy that uses visual behavior of young larvae for initial identification, followed by electroretinogram and histological analysis for confirmation.’
- ‘Various aspects of the electroretinogram were abnormal in at least half of the cases in at least one eye.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.