One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a molecule or group) having a tendency to attract or acquire electrons.Often contrasted with nucleophilic
- ‘In the mining industry, the production of TNT is made possible by the electrophilic nitration of toluene (methyl benzene).’
- ‘Methyl lithium is very reactive and acts as a nucleophilic methylating reagent to electrophilic functional groups, such as ketones.’
- ‘Halogenation occurs readily with aniline by electrophilic aromatic substitution.’
- ‘Addition reactions of electrophilic reagents to the alkene double bond (yielding substituted alkenes) are the most typical.’
- ‘Ozone is a strong electrophilic reagent which can attack the double bond found in alkenes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.