Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Osmosis under the influence of an electric field.
- ‘This is well established by studies on electro-osmosis and streaming potentials.’
- ‘Brennan learned of a system of electro-osmosis for dealing with rising damp without chemicals.’
- ‘In vascular plant biology, electro-osmosis is also used as an alternative or supplemental explanation for the movement of polar liquids via the phloem.’
- ‘Electrochemical methods of stabilization involve the reduction of water content by electro-osmosis.’
- ‘Upon application of an electric field, electro-osmosis generates bulk fluid flow in the device, and a protocol for eliminating this flow by attaching a polymer brush to all silicon oxide surfaces is shown to be effective.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.