Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Osmosis under the influence of an electric field.
- ‘Upon application of an electric field, electro-osmosis generates bulk fluid flow in the device, and a protocol for eliminating this flow by attaching a polymer brush to all silicon oxide surfaces is shown to be effective.’
- ‘This is well established by studies on electro-osmosis and streaming potentials.’
- ‘Electrochemical methods of stabilization involve the reduction of water content by electro-osmosis.’
- ‘Brennan learned of a system of electro-osmosis for dealing with rising damp without chemicals.’
- ‘In vascular plant biology, electro-osmosis is also used as an alternative or supplemental explanation for the movement of polar liquids via the phloem.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.