A device for producing a narrow stream of electrons from a heated cathode.
- ‘When we built the electron gun we knew that a big problem would be to operate it at high electric field strength without breakdown.’
- ‘The basic idea is that an electron gun at the back of the picture tube fires a beam of electrons toward the inside front of the tube, which is coated with a layer of phosphorus material.’
- ‘A magnet distorts the picture as it distorts the path of electrons flowing from the electron gun towards the screen inside the tv.’
- ‘The experiment involves a source of quantum entities, let us say an electron gun that fires a steady stream of particles.’
- ‘Each pixel consists of a cell that's excited by applied current to light up the phosphor, rather than an electron gun that scans across a phosphor array.’