One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An intense pulse of electromagnetic radiation, especially one generated by a nuclear explosion and occurring high above the earth's surface.
- ‘But the concern about electromagnetic pulses - either from nuclear attacks or, more likely, from ‘e-bombs’ - puts a different cast on things.’
- ‘The apocalypse of the technological age did not come, as some had feared, from fallout and electromagnetic pulses of a great nuclear war, but from a thought.’
- ‘Similarly, in a nuclear environment, electromagnetic pulses would wreak havoc on computers and networks that are not hardened.’
- ‘The electromagnetic pulse generated by the test led to power surges in electrical cables in Hawaii, blowing fuses, street lights, and circuit breakers.’
- ‘They eventually traced the source of the failures to the electromagnetic pulse generated by the bombs themselves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.