Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Subject to or treat by electrolysis.‘when you electrolyze water, it splits into hydrogen and oxygen’
- ‘It is obtained commercially by electrolyzing a liquid mixture of hydrogen fluoride and potassium hydrogen fluoride.’
- ‘Cheap electricity from wind now offers the option of electrolysing water to produce hydrogen.’
- ‘The water inducing system mounted in the vehicle electrolyses the water.’
- ‘Each year 2000 tonnes of the gas is generated by electrolysing water.’
- ‘The plan is to build several huge wind turbines that would produce electricity to electrolyse water and to liquefy the hydrogen for transport.’
- ‘It would be the cost effectiveness of the appliance and the energy efficiency of reforming or electrolyzing that will determine whether home refueling will make sense.’
- ‘Then electrodes electrolyze the water to generate active oxygen and hypochlorous acid molecules, which work together to break down organic dirt and fight bacteria.’
- ‘Big dogs like the nuclear industry also foresee a water-based hydrogen economy, but with nuclear as the power source that electrolyzes water.’
- ‘Once you are able to get cheap electricity from wind, you have the option of electrolyzing water and producing hydrogen.’
- ‘The other is to use fossil fuel to generate the electricity that is required to electrolyze water and get hydrogen.’
- ‘To electrolyze water or other non - ionic substances, an ionic substance, an electrolyte, is added to the water so that current will flow and the reaction will proceed at a relatively low voltage.’
- ‘A fuel cell is called regenerative if it can electrolyze the by-product water back into hydrogen and oxygen.’
- ‘That process requires that aluminum oxide first be melted, then electrolyzed.’
- ‘Excess power would be stored as hydrogen fuel electrolyzed from water.’
- ‘The substance being electrolyzed must be an electrolyte, a liquid that contains positive and negative ions and therefore is able to conduct electricity.’
- ‘Water can be electrolyzed into hydrogen and oxygen simply by running an electric current through it.’
- ‘In the first, the ore is converted to magnesium chloride, which is then electrolyzed.’
- ‘What gases appear when salty water is electrolysed depends on the salt concentration.’
- ‘In the end, the central question with hydrogen is whether it is made using renewable energy to electrolyze water, or with climate-disrupting fossil fuels.’
- ‘The cartridge consisting of multiple mesh electrodes arranged transversely to imposed water flow electrolyzes passing water when energized.’
Mid 19th century: from electrolysis, on the pattern of analyze.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.