One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fish (a stretch of water) using electrocution or a weak electric field.
- ‘Areas upstream and downstream of the 400-m section were searched for marked fish with equal electrofishing effort (two passes with block nets).’
- ‘Eighteen streams were electrofished at least once over the course of the study to determine fish community composition and catch-per-unit-effort (fish per minute).’
- ‘‘If only we had some electrofishing gear ‘I said.’’
- ‘Boat electrofishing was also conducted at night in each major littoral habitat in a subset of 30 lakes during 1991 and 1992.’
- ‘Fish taken by electrofishing and angling were sampled during the prespawning (spring, summer) and spawning seasons in 1997.’
- ‘During the 1998-1999 surveys, fishes were collected using baited minnow traps, trap nets, gill nets, backpack electrofishing units, seines, and angling to avoid size- and species-selectivity.’
- ‘Bitterlings were collected from the same site as the mussels by electrofishing in mid-April 1999 and kept indoors in large aquaria at the university.’
- ‘The section electrofished should be of a minimum length.’
- ‘All fish specimens were obtained by electrofishing.’
- ‘All fish receptive to capture by two electrofishing passes within each of six sites were sampled.’
- ‘One of the options state and federal wildlife officials are throwing around (and have tried in the past) is electrofishing.’
- ‘The recent trend towards assessing fish assemblage structure has been attributed to the advent of modern pulsed-DC backpack electrofishing gear and the availability of effective multi-metric indices.’
- ‘Each site was electrofished in a systematic fashion beginning at the downstream margin of the section and continuing upstream to the head in the section.’
- ‘After all enclosures were positioned, they were electrofished using a backpack electroshocker to attempt to remove any fish that may not have escaped during positioning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.