Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The measurement of electrical activity in the heart and the recording of such activity as a visual trace (on paper or on an oscilloscope screen), using electrodes placed on the skin of the limbs and chest.
- ‘Heart rate, oxygen saturation, and blood pressure were recorded by electrocardiography, pulse oximetry, and sphygmomanometry, respectively.’
- ‘After a careful history and examination, electrocardiography and chest radiography are first line investigations.’
- ‘Typical indications for paediatric electrocardiography include syncope, exertional symptoms, tachyarrhythmias, bradyarrhythmias, and drug ingestion.’
- ‘In the clinical assessment of chest pain, electrocardiography is an essential adjunct to the clinical history and physical examination.’
- ‘Physical examination, simple laboratory tests, such as hematocrit, renal function, and electrolytes, and electrocardiography provide incremental information.’
- ‘All patients had a physical examination, chest radiography, echocardiography, supine 12 lead electrocardiography, blood pressure measurements, and blood samples taken.’
- ‘Other useful diagnostic tests include electrocardiography, chest radiography, complete blood count, clotting screen and determination of electrolyte and creatinine concentrations.’
- ‘Although open access echocardiography is now increasingly available, appropriate pre-referral investigations include chest radiography, 12 lead electrocardiography, and renal chemistry.’
- ‘Participants received baseline electrocardiography; a medical history and physical examination were obtained; and several depression scales were administered.’
- ‘The chest radiography and electrocardiography may be useful in proving alternative diagnoses but rarely are diagnostic of PE.’
- ‘They recommended expeditious evaluation of these patients, including a history, a physical examination, and electrocardiography.’
- ‘The addition of natriuretic peptide measurements and electrocardiography further increases the accuracy of the diagnosis’
- ‘Chest radiography, electrocardiography, and cranial ultrasonography were normal.’
- ‘At study entry we obtained a medical history and did a full neurological and physical examination, including electrocardiography.’
- ‘Chest radiography and electrocardiography are useful in the initial evaluation of patients with mitral stenosis.’
- ‘Parameters that are measured by computerized systems are blood pressure, electrocardiography, heart rate, ventilation, oxygen saturation, oxygen uptake, and carbon dioxide output.’
- ‘A clinical history and examination, 12 lead electrocardiography, and measurement of troponin concentration are the essential diagnostic tools.’
- ‘Chest radiography and electrocardiography also may point at the diagnosis of CHF.’
- ‘An initial diagnostic workup including electrocardiography, chest radiography, transthoracic echocardiography, and measurement of troponins and D-dimer should help differentiate between the three diagnoses.’
- ‘Electrocardiography, stress electrocardiography, echocardiography and cardiac scan with dipyridamole test, as well as carotid Doppler ultrasonography, showed no abnormalities.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.