Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A guitar with a built-in pickup or pickups that convert string vibrations into electrical signals for amplification.→ guitar
- ‘Twelve women played electric guitars and five sampled the sound of the guitars and transformed it on laptops.’
- ‘What Les Paul was to the electric guitar, Bill Putnam was to the recording studio.’
- ‘Combining elements of electric guitars and human voices with amplified non-musical noises into densely cut up sound organisations, this album presented a perverse take on musical forms.’
- ‘I started with the flute and then learned the guitar and then the electric guitar.’
- ‘Acoustic and electric guitars abound, nicely augmented by some pleasantly retro-sounding organ riffing and rock-solid drumming.’
- ‘Many young Nepalis began to make music with electric guitars, synthesizers, and amplifiers.’
- ‘The verse trips you up with the syncopated rhythm played to dark electric guitars, contrasting completely with the melody happily sailing away on flurrying strings for the chorus.’
- ‘The company has also redesigned the internal wiring of its electric guitars to allow players to adjust the sound of the guitar string by string, creating a number of new sonic possibilities.’
- ‘I tried all of the reverb patches on drums, vocals, electric guitars and keyboards and found them to have good dynamic responses.’
- ‘Vibes, synths and heavily reverbed flutes slide through the mix, anchored by Lee's guitar and voice, and electric guitars twang along on the margins.’
- ‘‘He's Mine’ is a model country-rock number with electric guitars and steady percussion offset by country harmonies and pedal steel.’
- ‘Two men had been employed to play musical standards on an electric guitar and saxophone respectively.’
- ‘As people made their way down the elevators towards the various lines, they were met by the sounds of his electric guitar.’
- ‘It is rare these days to find African musicians who insist on using almost exclusively traditional instruments, preferring instead to include electric guitars, bass and even electronics.’
- ‘The experimental sounds of keyboards and electric guitars add a contemporary influence.’
- ‘In that one room there were two pianos, 3 drum kits, 20 acoustic guitars, 10 electric guitars and one double bass.’
- ‘I sighed and started to write again, humming to the sound of electric guitars and his voice.’
electric guitar/əˌlektrik ɡəˈtär/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.