One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fence through which an electric current can be passed, giving an electric shock to any person or animal touching it.
- ‘They also move about unrestrained by razor wire, searchlights, locks or electric fences.’
- ‘It has a five-metre high wall, streams and a moat with an electric fence to ensure the animals do not wade on to the visitors' side or injure themselves.’
- ‘A movable electric fence can be used to keep the animals in the targeted area.’
- ‘The electric fence should be high voltage, low amperage, so that no harm can be done to any animal or person.’
- ‘One is a low-voltage electric fence around the perimeter of your garden.’
- ‘The electric fence works by delivering a short sharp shock to the animal through the fence wire.’
- ‘While barbed-wire or electric fences are cheaper and easier to maintain, hunters on horseback would rather jump a hedge.’
- ‘They are capable of short-circuiting an electric fence by charging at it as a group.’
- ‘There were rows of razor wire, electric fences, guard towers and searchlights.’
- ‘This woman had a friend hook up a power pack from an electric fence to the windshield wiper.’
- ‘Fred uses portable electric fences to move the cattle to fresh feed daily.’
- ‘We were running up and down shouting and calling, pulling at gates, knocking on metal fences, even trying to short-circuit electric fences to set off alarms.’
- ‘Police believe the thieves cut their way through barbed wire and electric fences from the grounds of Pitsea tip.’
- ‘After all, we have razor wire, an electric fence, burglar bars, floodlights, buzzers and our faithful Maltese, Bonzo - all generously paid for by our loyal taxpayers.’
- ‘The security is immense, with rolls of barbed wire and an electric fence.’
- ‘Thieves snatched the miniature pony after breaking through a padlocked gate and disconnecting an electric fence leading to a paddock in Bourton.’
- ‘Kolesch says unlike the full mesh wall of regular fences that line the highway, the electric fence is just several strands with some electrified wires that pulsate on contact.’
- ‘One problem is that elephants are not just big, but smart - they can knock down regular fences, and figure out how to disable electric fences.’
- ‘The Houses of Parliament are to be protected from terrorist attack by electric fences, roadblocks and a boom barrage in the Thames, according to a leaked report.’
- ‘This procedure had merit; but conventional fencing costs, even electric fences or suspension fences with widely spaced posts, made it an economically questionable practice outside the research arena.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.