Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The flower of the elder, used to make wines, cordials, and other drinks.
- ‘I settled on the pear and the waiter suggested he bring a little elderflower sorbet on the side.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the elderflower syrup, simple syrup, sparkling wine, d' Asti Prosecco, and violet extract.’
- ‘Place the gooseberries, elderflower cordial and sugar in a medium-sized pan, add enough water to cover the fruit then place on the stove and bring to the boil.’
- ‘The elderflower has a musky scent that really lifts the gooseberries - try adding it to gooseberry fool too.’
- ‘I positioned my chair just so, put a couple of bottles of elderflower wine in the cooler, and spent the entire day out in the garden.’
- ‘And so we bathe them in liqueur, toss them in ground peppercorns and douse them in elderflower syrup.’
- ‘Lena got an elderflower soda to drink, while I opted for an ecological espresso.’
- ‘Place two small scoops of the elderflower sorbet in a chilled martini glass.’
- ‘Many drinkers are as likely to order an elderflower cordial as a pint of beer down at the local.’
- ‘The country lanes are frothy with elderflowers.’
- ‘Elderflower cordial gives the gooseberries a delicate muscat flavour.’
- ‘My parents have an elderflower tree in their backyard, and occasionally my dad makes cordial from it.’
- ‘Spoon over your blueberry jam, cover with your elderflower cordial, and top with a sprig of mint.’
- ‘Your party was drinking a late '80s Pomerol while you sensibly sipped an elderflower spritzer.’
- ‘It was okay though, my ice-cream was definitely charmed with the sweet aroma and light flavor of elderflower cordial, no matter how it was innocently-looking as if it had been ordinary vanilla ice cream.’
- ‘As he rode along the lanes, his nostrils filled with the heady scent of elderflowers, and the air was alive with stag beetles whose chunky black bodies whirred defiantly through the dusk.’
- ‘As an afterthought we tipped in a splash of elderflower cordial, because the bottle was almost empty and we needed the fridge space… Yum!’
- ‘Place the berries in a small oven dish, sprinkle over 25g sugar and drizzle over the elderflower cordial.’
- ‘However, there are also many new formulas employing herbs and exotic flavorings, such as elderflower syrup.’
- ‘We order drinks, elderflower cordial for my wife, a nice cup of brain-bothering caffeine for me, and then our meals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.